Sunday, January 26, 2014

I was born, so now I suffer

Books I read recently:

Two Lives by Janet Malcolm (ruined by one horrible precious sentence describing a small child, shame.)
Speedboat by Renata Adler (great, gonna read Pitch Dark next. Should I revisit Didion in light of the comparisons between her and Adler? I hated her so much when I read her a few years ago.)
The Archival Turn in Feminism: Outrage in Order by Kate Eichhorn (professional prodding. Get out there and get a fucking career Shiv.)
A Brief History of Neoliberalism by David Harvey (great)
No Regrets: Three Discussions edited by Dayna Tortorici (great though insular interrogation of identity formation through reading. The greatest idea I got from this was the one that left me feeling the most out of the loop. I want a secret canon with my friends! My record buds and I have one, but though I feel so strongly that I am a reader I so rarely discuss books with my friends and I don't feel like we are united by a canon at all. I tried to have a conversation with a coworker about books the other day and the way she shirked away from naming titles made me so sad because I do it too. No more of this.)

Books I am in the middle of:

Dissident Gardens by Jonathan Lethem (making no progress, since this book isn't very good. Lethem was a teenage favorite of mine but he is so vicious to his characters. Why?)
Wanderlust by Rebecca Solnit (put it down and completely forgot about it, feeling like picking it up again after it was mentioned in the aforementioned No Regrets.)
Heroines by Kate Zambreno (almost done, I hate the way she writes about herself and her partner in this book so much, and I hate her obsession with class and geography in this book, but there is good stuff too. I think I need to think and write about this more in the coming weeks.)

New records I bought and enjoyed:

Irreparables - Demo 2011 LP
Household - Elaines LP (I cannot recommend this enough, I love them. First record got so many spins, this is getting so many spins. "Panorama" and "A New Leaf" are standouts.)
La Misma - s/t 7"

Punk fashion icon now and forever:

The woman from Livin' Sacrifice with the homemade Ramones shirt and Johnny haircut

BYE

No comments:

Post a Comment