Wednesday, December 18, 2013

RECORD REVIEWS!

I bought some records and stuff.

Total Trash - s/t 7" (self-released, 2013)
Total Trash is from Minneapolis but somehow I've never seen them. I suppose I lean towards the "history-minded Saturday-night-stay-home-and-read punker" end of things, so that isn't much of a surprise, but after getting this 7" I'm sold on them (despite having always been turned off by the ICP irony and summertime beanie vibes, and two pretty middling-to-obnoxious--and not in a good way!--tapes). The first song has some doomy Ginn-esque feedback squalls and "oooh"s echoing through the background and a funny sing-songy rhyming scheme that I found distracting. Then we get "Misanthropy." I don't even think this is THE hit (I mean, it is for me, but "Jean Genet" could be an indie radio hit, with this totally great sweeping riff, positive lyrics, and more sung vocals that would go well on a tape with Potty Mouth or even, dare I say, Crash Diagnostic-era Discount), but man, this track is so good. Jessica's vocals get in the red at the best moments. "Take It Straight" and "Heady Times" are pretty straightforward hardcore songs, but both are good. I wish this record had lyrics to go with the nice screenprinted covers because I think I like them, but who knows?! There's also a sample from Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains for added lady punx cred. (Sidenote: two people have told me recently that they saw that movie when they were 13. Admittedly I would have fallen asleep because it's a movie and I hate those (jk, kinda), but I wish I had seen that when I was 13! Oh well.) The production is pretty raw and the instruments bleed together, but I think with a cleaner sound this would be too polished. Worth your time and $6 or whatever. totaltrash.bandcamp.com

Kaos - Ayacucho Centro de Opresion 7" (Odio los Discos/Sin Temores/Discos Huayno Amargo, 2008)
Ok, so to my shame, I once owned this record and sold it to Extreme Noise. I bought it back today after hearing "No" on a podcast. It's weird that I sold it because I think I've had the title track stuck in my head since the first time I owned it. Kaos formed in Lima, Peru, in 1986 and recorded the material on this record in 1989.  The vocal style is really similar to the dude from their countrymen Ataque Frontal, and the singer really lets loose on "No," screaming his head off over a fast-slow-really fast tune. SO RIPPING! Eternal mixtape fodder! All the songs on this record are great, mostly fast tunes with nary a guitar solo in sight. "X" has a melodic, mid-tempo start before revving up and slowing down again. "Ayacucho Centro de Opresion" follows the same formula (albeit less melodic) with a savage whisper-to-scream vocal bit. Excellent hardcore.

Brilliant Colors - Introducing (Slumberland, 2009)
Their loud pop/C86 reinterpretation of "99 Luftballoons" speaks for itself, no?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment